Wednesday 10 July 2013

My Little Tour of America – San Francisco

My little tour of West Coast USA was the first trip of this kind for me. I used to be a beach, hotel pool, resort type of girl but have been introduced to a whole new way of holidaying and I have to say – there’s no going back. Moving from place to place, 2-3 days at a time, getting to see so much in one trip is an amazing experience.


The tour began in San Francisco…


San Francisco


A beautiful city with an abundance of culture. 

                      Chinatown San Francisco         St Peter and Paul
                                            Chinatown                             St Peter and Paul Church

                      San Francisco Bay Fog Pier 39
                                             The Bay                                          Pier 39


This was also the first time I had experienced an ‘American breakfast’. It consisted of bacon, eggs, sausage, hash browns, pancakes and maple syrup all on the same plate. It was amazing! Probably a good thing I don't live there, I’d be huge. 


American Breakfast



While there I took a Segway tour of the city and learned more from the young tour operator than I could from any book or website. It was great to quickly and easily move around the city hearing about China Town, the gold rush, Little Italy, Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe and so much more. Fabulous!

I also visited Alcatraz Island home to Alcatraz Federal Penitentiary, what an experience that was. For the most part it’s grim; derelict buildings where the prisoners, guards and the guard’s families lived for months, even years.  
And the yard the prisoners spent their daytime, surrounded by a huge wall with amazing views of San Francisco just out of sight.

Alcatraz Federal PenitentiaryAlcatraz Federal PenitentiaryAlcatraz Federal Penitentiary



Then in contrast there are beautiful gardens and nesting sites for many different species of birds e.g. seagulls, cormorants and snowy egrets (no I’d never heard of them either and they make a very strange noise!). 

   Alcatraz IslandAlcatraz IslandAlcatraz Island


And finally, if the notorious San Francisco fog has lifted, there's the Golden Gate bridge…


Golden Gate Bridge



All in all San Francisco is an amazing city, and a wonderful introduction to the West Coast!

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I am longing to visit San Francisco - especially after this article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment. It was very beautiful, I can't wait to go back! x

      Delete